Saturday, November 2, 2013

Massage

So in my pursuit to remain mellow and relaxed rather than turn to negative habits I have found a nice way to relax, the massage.  A proper massage can vary depending on the provider, but I will be writing about the differences and similarities between three types I have received so far in Asia, the Thai massage, the proper Chinese massage and the Balinese massage.  Each massage has its own merits for what makes it a good massage, however my favorite massage is a Thai massage - given by a Chinese masseuse.

Reclining Buddha
Wat Po



So Thai massage was my first foray into professional massage therapy.  I visited Wat Po, which is a temple dedicated to massage and the massage of Buddha.  Christopher and I both visited massage therapists for one hour who provided a very respectable service.  My masseuse was a bit heavy handed, but was very professional.  I stared jealously at Christopher's masseuse.  She seemed to have the perfect touch, but alas, another day.  Wat Po is also a training center, so I imagine my masseuse was not only well trained but also a trainer who was keeping all the hidden secrets of Thai massage and passing them through to me with gentle massage.  Maybe not, but it was at least a relaxing massage.



Later while visiting one of the beach cities, Cha am, I received a better Thai massage.  I think the masseuse used a better technique and it was a generally more relaxing massage.  The massage was from foot to head and back.  Oil was included.  The pressure applied was nearly perfect, which is why I prefer the Thai massage.  I think overall I prefer woman masseuse to men, because the touch.  It is somehow easier for most women to add pressure than for most men to release pressure from their touch.

Cha Am, Thailand

Chinese massage is usually accompanied by one word, pain.  Chinese massage is full contact, of course you can ask your masseuse to go easy, but they will probably ignore you, or just go easy enough.  My friend commented once, you should cry during a good massage, because the tears are toxins released from your body.  I am like, which part of relaxing does that include?

So, you can get a good Chinese massage, but you have to be prepared for some pain.  In addition, you might also get some accupressure or cupping included.  Accupressure is where pressure might be placed and released on particular trouble spots.  This, I highly recommend, because it increases blood flow.  Cupping, I would recommend only for the brave.  It involves hot cups being placed in position on the body and released over time.  They build pressure as they remain.  They can leave marking on the body for weeks after... after a few days, when the pain is gone, you can feel the effects of a good Chinese massage.  This is not the Chinese massage we are familiar with in America, sort of like American Chinese food, different concept.



The final massage I received about a week ago was the Balinese massage.  My friends comment - that is a sexy massage.  I don't know if I laughed harder at that comment or the surprise when they handed us disposable underwear to wear during the massage.  The masseuses and I had big laughs.  Still, after it was finished I had to promise never to have a Balinese massage again, not because there was any hanky panky, but because it was too relaxing.  I don't know if my masseuse was that relaxing for me, I mean I was coming down with a cold, so maybe I wasn't in to the massage enough.  But from where my friend was sitting, I was too relaxed.  The technique is a combo between Chinese and Thai techniques, easy and then heavy pressure.  Also they pay plenty of attention to the feet and as well as the full body.  In the end they got my money because of the advertising of the poster.  The lady looks so ready for a massage...

Looking forward to another Thai massage soon, but seeing how I am headed back to China looks like I might have to put my body through the abuses of a Chinese massage next time I need to relieve some stress.  Much better than reaching for a drink or a pack of cigarettes.  At least with a good masseuse.  Enjoying Bali.

Bali Sunset






No comments:

Post a Comment

Cincopa Gallery

WordPress plugin