Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon)

I found a new favorite city.  Well, not my very most favorite, but Ho Chi Minh City has soul.  It has everything I was missing in Bali.  I mean everyone loves a good beach, but maybe I just like a good crowded city.



We got in last night, fresh off the plane... first stop, immigration.  I was somewhat sad about the 45 USD for a 30 day visa, but I mean, once you hit the streets, it really is worth it.  at 20000+ Dong per USD, you instantly become a Vietnamese millionaire.  I mean, yeah, that visa costs 1million dong, but I mean, there are still plenty of good deals to be had.  Fine food for under 5 USD for a meal, sometimes under 2 USD, not to mention fresh fruit and drinks you could only dream of at home.  Yesterday, I had a passion fruit juice, fresh for under about 1 USD.  Today I had a fresh coconut for a little more.  Then, I had another one.

Immigration was funny though, all the foreigners lined up - worried.  We are all worried about how we will get into Vietnam.  The immigration officials are rather strict.  They were friendly enough with me but they were giving us all a good once over.  We all needed our pre approved welcome letters and photos and 45 USD.  Question - where do you get 45 USD when you haven't been home in a while.  Question - why are dollars the preferred currency for a transaction to get into a Vietnam.  Answer - because the world and life is funny.  More on that tomorrow.



One reason I like Vietnam is because the Vietnamese like what I like.  They like good coffee, they like good fish, they like fresh fruit.  Those things alone are the basis of a wonderful culture.  So first thing this morning when I got lost, I walked to the nearest coffee house, ordered a cup, used the abundant wifi and plotted my direction.  I was headed to the war remnants museum a few blocks away.  I drank my coffee, had a second cup and was one my way.   I felt guilty for indulging, but I think the Vietnamese iced coffee might be better than the Thai iced coffee.  It is strong, with condensed milk added and is simply wonderful.  I don't know how Starbucks exists here, but they do.  I guess there is enough love of coffee to go around.



So on the agenda for today was a trip to Unification Palace, where we went on the official tour, which deserves and will get its own post, then we went to the War Remnants museum.  We also visited a couple of other French structures and then went to the market.



More pictures will follow.  Oh, Asari, right off the airplane at the airport in Ho Chi Minh City, this was waiting - this picture is just for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Cincopa Gallery

WordPress plugin