Thursday, April 12, 2012

Thoughts about Paris

After a few weeks in Paris I think it is probably one of the most unique places I have ever visited.  It kind of reminds me of Cairo, but Paris is a bit different.  It is cosmopolitain, like Cairo, it is based on neighborhoods as well, but there is something connecting the neighborhoods and connecting the people, perhaps a love of the city, a certain uniqueness that no other city has.

My landlord, after trying to squeeze me for a few more dollars towards the utilities made an interesting comment.  He is no typical landlord.  He is renting us his artist loft space for a little extra spending money I expect.  I asked him how they can live here, how they can afford it.

He said, we, young fools, learn to love Paris - like a sometimes difficult, but deserving woman.  I could dig that.  I mean, what woman do you know who isn't difficult sometimes?  And yeah, I could live here.  I mean, if I had a visa, beyond three months out of every six.  Perhaps I will find someone to split the time and rent an apartment here with.  We would never see this other person, but we would get six months in Paris.  Prices on places fall if you rent for a whole year instead of month by month.  Just a thought.


The weather is mild right now, it is better weather wise than Chicago, not much more so, but enough so that it is almost worth living here, in that regard.  The people are very interesting.  There is this thing they do, when walking.  If you look at anyone in their eyes they immediately look away, even if it is towards a brick wall.  That wouldn't matter so much except when you juxtapose it to all the people watching that goes on in cafes and parks and restaurants and public spaces.

This was supposed to have been published about a week into Paris, but now I am revising it after the trip in Paris is done. Is Paris my favorite place in the world?  Well, so far it is up there.  I mean I loved all of Egypt and Valencia is pretty cool too.  But lets just say Paris is special, especially in April.  Next time,  Barcelona!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cincopa Gallery

WordPress plugin